Other Heightism Related Websites

Friday, 19 August 2016

My Interpretation of the Tyrion Lannister "Armor" Quote

In case anyone doesn't know the quote I'm referring to, here's the full exchange from a dwarf named Tyrion, of Game of Thrones fame:

Tyrion: Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Jon: What the hell do you know about being a bastard?
Tyrion: All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes.

I've seen many short men copy/pasting these lines to justify their self-deprecation. My personal interpretation is slightly different.

Whenever I've had "you're short" used as an insult against me, I've always responded with, "Yeah, and?" On the other hand, someone who doesn't accept their height would say something like, "No, I'm not short, I'm (insert fake taller height), or "I may look short, but I'm actually tall on the inside." Many view short stature as a negative, and that's what allows the label to hurt them. They wish to swat it away like a fly, rather than embrace it.

What separates my interpretation from others is dignity. Saying, "Yeah, I'm _____, so what?" comes off as strong and proud. I find there's a difference between that, and I quote, "a narrow chested short guy wearing an oversized suit and suspenders, dancing a jig in a circle while spinning the propellor on his beanie."

By the way, hopefully anyone who reads this has the discretion to differentiate between joking around with friends, and making a fool out of oneself.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. Yet another way to handle this stuff is to return the "compliment" with some fact about the insulting party. Sarcasm can be a great weapon as well. Of course when you do that then the collective forces of the group coalesce against you and make you the bad guy.

    -- No one ever said defending yourself as a short man is easy.

    ReplyDelete