"I Teach How to Fit Into a World I Don’t Want to Live In"

"I’ve come slowly to understand what it is I really teach: A curriculum of confusion, class position, arbitrary justice, vulgarity, rudeness, disrespect for privacy, indifference to quality, and utter dependency. I teach how to fit into a world I don’t want to live in." - John Taylor Gatto (former teacher of the year)

I can understand where he's coming from. If a teacher is self-aware about the school system, why perpetuate this culture by churning out more blindly obedient kids? It'd be like attaching your name to the credits of a really bad movie.

In the same vein, I've realized that I was taught to live in a world that's constantly flipping me off. Schools expected me to comply, all the while this society spits on who I am, both physically and mentally. Then they get mad when people like myself say "fuck you, I'm out."

What a load of bullshit.