"It's Not School's Fault You Didn't Teach Yourself"


You can watch the video, but it doesn't really matter. He's basically ranting about how useless most subjects in school are. I thought it was annoying.

He also backpedaled on the title by saying kids should stay in school. What he meant was that the pointless subjects shouldn't stay in school, but the kids should. At least that's what he said in the comments.

So this was basically a glorified "schools need reform" video (which has been done to death), but good job being an edgy poseur by using "don't stay in school" as the title. Just another coward who's afraid of voicing an "extremist" opinion. Nice hair.

What I really want to discuss are the comments saying "it's not school's fault you didn't teach yourself laws, taxes, etc." I've seen this not only in the YouTube comments (which are notoriously dumb), but also on reddit (which I also think is dumb but many believe otherwise).

Here's my problem with their point...

WHY ARE WE IN SCHOOL IF WE HAVE TO TEACH OURSELVES THE IMPORTANT SHIT ANYWAY?

Sure... Some adults will use what they memorize in school, but since school is supposed to cater towards everyone in a general manner (hence why they shove us into the same mold), how about teaching what everyone needs to know?

I actually found the video above from school-survival.net, and this quote sums up the pro-school comments perfectly:

"I guess you just proved my point that school is wasting my time; it's supposed to be a tool to help us in life, but it won't teach us anything that everybody needs to know. Instead, we memorize and regurgitate facts we'll forget and never use."