I found some good comments about this here.
- "Change short to gay. Now see if that statement sticks."
- "Seriously, I have never met a whiny short guy in real life. If anything, it seems we try to go out of our way expressing anything close to feelings about our height."
- "Okay, for the sake of argument, let's assume that short guys more insecure than taller guys on average. Why? Why would shorter guys be more insecure? Are short girls equally insecure? Somehow, they never seem to ask these questions. They throw out the confidence line as if that's all there is to it."
- "This is such a key point to be made. Society treats shortness in males as a defect, so it shouldn't be a surprise that short men tend to be insecure about it. I wish others would at least acknowledge this. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything we can to overcome it or let it make us miserable people, but at least give us the respect to recognize that these self-esteem issues aren't coming from nowhere."
- "Shorter guys can't win really. It's like people just expect you to let them make comments about your height, god forbid you try and defend yourself, or you've got a napoleon complex and a chip on your shoulder."