Some Move Forward in Spite of Poor Parenting

"Some people will move forward in spite of poor parenting to become who they are meant to be. All it does is serve to hold them back for a time. Some are restrained permanently, others shed it like a snake skin."

It's always fascinating to witness a child resist his or her parents.

My own parents tried just about every method to control me: violence, threats, shame, drugs, counseling, bribery, and even voodoo. Eventually, they gave up because all they could do was make me cry when I was young, or angry now that I'm older.

Funnily enough, the one approach my parents never tried was a calm and open discussion. When you are not capable of debating with anyone, especially your own offspring, do not have kids. Trying to control a naturally intelligent child through fear will only cause them to view you as less than worthy of filial piety.

When a child knows who they are destined to become, nothing short of death can stop them.

"The thing I treasure most in life cannot be taken away. There will never be a reason why I will surrender to your advice. To change myself, I'd rather die, though they will not understand."